Updated March 2022
So, you’re thinking of becoming a sports dietitian. You’ve done your research and want to get the ball rolling, but there’s one problem – you have no idea which course to enrol in. Luckily, there are a few options open to you depending on your specific goals, budget and needs.
Sports Nutrition Course | Sports Dietitians Australia
Online Only Course (13 Weeks) | $1850.00 (SDA Members)
Hybrid Course (7 Weeks + 2 Days face to face) | $2050.00 (SDA Members)
The SDA’s Sports Nutrition Course is one of the most popular options for people looking to become a Sports Dietitian. It was previously run as a 4-day face to face course in Melbourne, however in 2021 it was adapted into a comprehensive 13-week online course as well as a 7-week hybrid course that includes a 2-day face to face workshop in Melbourne. You can still expect an exceptionally high quality of content and expert presenters that the course is renowned for, just in a more flexible format. By the end, you will be a provisional or accredited sports dietitian, provided you meet all the criteria.
The Sports Nutrition Course will educate you in how to convert the science of sports nutrition into practical and meaningful interventions for athletes and coaches. Nationally and internationally recognised sports nutrition professionals incorporate the latest information on sports nutrition and share their personal insights into working with athletes.
To apply, you must first register your interest. The SDA will then email and invite you to submit an application. Keep in mind that preference will be given to SDA members and the application will need to include a Letter of Recommendation and a $500 deposit (it’s refundable if you’re not accepted). Successful applicants will then be notified and you will need to pay the remainder of the balance before access is provided to the course platform.
- Flexible; with Online and Hybrid options available
- Run by a reputable dietetics organisation
- Access to information from esteemed industry professionals.
- Can become an accredited sports dietitian
- Specific application criteria and pre-requisites
- Usually requires a minimum of 1 year clinical experience (paid or voluntary)
- Course fee does not include textbook (Clinical Sports Nutrition 6th Edition – $127)
- Highly competitive application process
Sports Nutrition Essentials | Dietitians Australia | $399.00 (DA Members)
Open to all dietitians, the Sports Nutrition Essentials course by Dietitians Australia is great for those professionals who want to learn the fundamentals of sports nutrition and may not yet meet the critera for the SDA course. It’s run entirely online and covers 4 core modules: fuelling, recovery, hydration and supplements. To pass, participants must complete all 4 modules and pass a knowledge assessment quiz.
It’s important to note that this course does not qualify participants as accredited sports dietitians. In order to be accredited, you must complete the SDA course as outlined above.
- More affordable option.
- Run entirely online, making it a convenient way to study.
- Covers theoretical and practical approaches.
- Open to all dietitians, with no minimum amount of experience required.
- This course does not qualify you as an accredited sports dietitian.
- Doesn’t offer comprehensive knowledge of sports dietetics.
- Not as reputable as the SDA short-course option.
Which is right for you when looking at becoming a Sports Dietitian?
It’s important to know what you’re looking to gain from a course before you choose which one to enrol in. If you’re wanting to become an Accredited Sports Dietitian, it’s important that you complete the SDA’s Sports Nutrition Course, as this will provide you with the qualification you need to specialise in this area.
However, if you don’t have the experience needed to apply for this course, or if you simply want to learn the fundamentals of sports nutrition to expand your knowledge, an option like the DA course could be best for you.